- Identify the three early literacy domains that form a foundation for literacy learning.
- Explain the relationship between the three early literacy domains.
Chapter 3: Print Awareness
- Identify the elements of print and book awareness.
- Be familiar with an effective instructional strategy for teaching print awareness.
conventions of print
functions of print
Chapter 4: Letter Knowledge
- Identify the components of letter recognition instruction.
- Explain how letter shapes can affect students’ learning of letter names.
- Explain how the properties of a letter’s name may affect students’ ability to learn its sound.
- Explain why the practice of spending the same amount of instructional time on each letter may not be effective.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching letter recognition.
Chapter 5: Phonological Awareness
- Explain the relationship between phonological and phonemic awareness.
- Identify the developmental levels of phonological awareness, and provide examples of the skills within each level.
- Describe some general guidelines for phonological awareness instruction.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching each level of phonological awareness.
Elkonin sound boxes