A top-rated, user-friendly guide to effective reading instruction, the Teaching Reading Sourcebook, Third Edition is solidly grounded in the science of reading. Combining the best features of an academic text and a practical, hands-on teacher’s guide, the Sourcebook explicitly covers the scientific basis and instructional elements of the five essential components of effective reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. To facilitate comprehension and learning, the Sourcebook is organized according to the guiding questions behind explicit instruction (what? why? when? how?). Each chapter includes a graphic, easy-to-understand explanation of the subject matter (what?); a concise summary of evidence-based research with a list of suggested readings (why?); suggested instructional timelines, assessments, and interventions (when?); and explicit, step-by-step lesson models that bridge the gap between research and practice (how?). The Third Edition includes a new section on reading instruction within a Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) framework.
- Appropriate for elementary teachers, middle- and high-school teachers, school or district administrators, pre-service teachers, college instructors, providers of professional development, literacy coaches.
- Overview of reading instruction within a MTSS framework covers multi-tiered levels of prevention and support, evidence-based programs with high-quality instruction, ongoing assessment, and data-based decision making and problem solving.
- Content closely correlates with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, especially Foundational Skills (K–5).
- Sample Lesson Models (how?) provide direct and explicit instruction for evidence-based strategies, practices, and activities.
- Helpful graphics, definitions, and simple charts and tables make the subject matter immediately understandable.
- Connect to Theory interactive activities for the reader provide opportunities to review and interpret content.
- The Resources section provides reproducible sample texts, activity masters, and teaching charts designed to be used in conjunction with sample lesson models.
- Suggestions for teaching English-language learners appear throughout book.