- Understand how spoken language merges with written language to contribute to automatic word recognition.
- Be familiar with the Adams Model of Skilled Reading and Ehri’s Phases of Word Recognition Development.
Chapter 6: Phonics
- Understand the relationship between phonics instruction and students’ understanding of the alphabetic principle.
- Recognize the characteristics of systematic and explicit phonics instruction.
- Be familiar with the basic principles of good phonics instruction.
- Identify the components of an explicit phonics lesson sequence.
- Be familiar with the general sequence for introducing phonic elements.
- Identify and demonstrate four blending routines.
- Describe the purpose and uses of decodable text.
- Describe the use and limitations of phonograms in beginning reading instruction.
- Describe the purpose of word work, and give examples of word-work activities.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching phonics.
automatic word recognition
phonics scope & sequence
Chapter 7: Irregular Word Reading
- Identify the general characteristics of an irregular word.
- Identify and describe the two types of irregular words.
- Describe the characteristics of a high-frequency word.
- Identify two factors that determine the difficulty of an irregular word.
- Describe the guidelines for teaching irregular words.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching irregular word reading.
permanently irregular words
temporarily irregular words
Chapter 8: Multisyllabic Word Reading
- Recognize the importance of knowing how to decode multisyllabic words.
- Explain three different evidence-based approaches for teaching students how to decode multisyllabic words.
- Explain how recognition of syllable types and division principles can help students decode multisyllabic words.
- Explain how recognition of root words and affixes can help students decode multisyllabic words.
- Describe the characteristics of flexible syllabication.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching multisyllabic word reading.
syllable division principles