- Describe the relationship between reading fluency and decoding and comprehension.
- Identify the key elements of reading fluency.
- Be familiar with the variables that influence a student’s fluent reading of a specific text.
Chapter 9: Fluency Assessment
- Identify the purpose and uses of ORF CBM assessment.
- Be able to calculate an ORF score.
- Explain how ORF norms are used in fluency assessment.
- Identify the characteristics that are measured in a prosodic reading assessment.
- Be familiar with effective methods for assessing reading fluency.
baseline median ORF score
curriculum-based measurement (CBM)
oral reading fluency (ORF)
ORF CBM assessment
words correct per minute (WCPM)
Chapter 10: Fluency Instruction
- Identify four instructional methods for building reading fluency.
- Describe how to choose the right text for fluency instruction.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for building fluency.
independent silent reading
levels of text difficulty
repeated oral reading