- Describe the four components of an effective vocabulary program.
- Identify the forms of receptive and productive vocabulary.
- Identify Dale’s four levels of word knowledge.
- Understand the link between vocabulary and comprehension.
specific word instruction
Chapter 11: Specific Word Instruction
- Identify methods for selecting vocabulary for explicit instruction.
- Understand the four basic components of rich and robust vocabulary instruction.
- Describe three strategies for introducing the meaning of specific words.
- Be familiar with two research-based methods for introducing the meaning of specific words during teacher read-alouds.
- Be familiar with other effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching the meanings of specific words.
categories of word knowledge
rich and robust instruction
semantic feature analysis
Chapter 12: Word-Learning Strategies
- Explain the purpose of directly teaching word-learning strategies to students.
- Identify the three areas of word-learning–strategy instruction, and be able to describe each.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for teaching word-learning strategies.
concept of definition map
The Vocabulary Strategy
Chapter 13: Word Consciousness
- Explain the nature of word consciousness and its importance in learning new words.
- Recognize ways to increase students’ awareness and enjoyment of words.
- Be familiar with effective instructional strategies, practices, and activities for promoting word consciousness.
layers of the English language